5 Things You Need to Know Today: Monday, Aug. 20
Bits of knowledge to help make you the smartest person packing for college.
Here are five pieces of information designed to start your week with a bang and to help make you the smartest person trying to figure out where the summer went.
1. Your 3-Day Local Weather Forecast: According to the NWS, today there will be a slight chance of showers after 2pm. Partly sunny, with a high near 78. Calm wind becoming south around 6 mph in the afternoon. Chance of precipitation is 20%.
- Monday Night Mostly cloudy, with a low around 59. Southeast wind around 6 mph becoming calm in the evening.
- Tuesday Partly sunny, with a high near 83. West wind 3 to 8 mph.
- Tuesday Night Mostly cloudy, with a low around 58. Light southwest wind.
- Wednesday A slight chance of showers after 2pm. Partly sunny, with a high near 82. Chance of precipitation is 20%.
- Wednesday Night Mostly cloudy, with a low around 59.
3. Reader Comment of the Day: "Yes we should bring back happy hours. They increase competition and are good for consumers. We've come a long way in public awareness, law enforcement, and in holding bars responsible for not over-serving. If we keep cracking down on bars that over serve and people who break the law, and keep educating the public, I don't think happy hours will cause a significant uptick in reckless behavior." Reader Kevin, commenting on the story, "TELL US: Bring Back Happy Hour?"
4. Quote of the Day: "This has been something I've been thinking about for the past few years. There are times when it's good to have (candidates) come in and kick the tires a little bit." Selectman Todd Johnson, talking about his proposal to make candidate interviews a more frequent tool in naming people to serve on appointed committees.
5. Just One More Day For Your Pet To Be A Star: There is just one more day to vote in the Patch Pet Photo Contest. We have nearly 300 votes cast thus far and the race is very very close. One or two votes could make the difference. There is also still time to add your pet to the photo contest gallery. To vote or add a photo, click here.