5 Things You Need to Know Today: Thursday, Aug. 23
Bits of knowledge to help make you the smartest person who just can't wait for the first day of school.
Here are five pieces of information designed to start your Thursday with a Coke and a smile and to help make you the smartest person who never would have guessed would be Kelly Ripa's new permanent co-host.
1. Your 3-Day Local Weather Forecast: According to the NWS, we'll see patchy fog between 7am and 8am. Otherwise, sunny, with a high near 88. Calm wind becoming west around 6 mph in the afternoon.
- Thursday Night Patchy fog after 5am. Otherwise, partly cloudy, with a low around 62. Southwest wind around 5 mph becoming calm in the evening.
- Friday Patchy fog before 9am. Otherwise, mostly sunny, with a high near 86. Calm wind becoming east around 6 mph in the afternoon.
- Friday Night Partly cloudy, with a low around 61. East wind 3 to 5 mph.
- Saturday Mostly sunny, with a high near 83.
- Saturday Night Partly cloudy, with a low around 62.
2. Reader Comment of the Day: "There are a disturbing number of car accidents that happen at that intersection.(South/Salem) I am wondering when the town will take notice and do something about it? fearful that a fatal accident will happen before action is taken... considering that there is an elementary school there as well as a fire station, it seems that putting a traffic light (not just a blinking light) here should be a priority." Reader CS, commenting on the story, "Golf In The Parking Lot, Break-Ins On Astle Street."
4. Blog Entry You Should Read: Blogger Don Ordway has submitted a fascinating look at former President George H.W. Bush. He has met "Bush 41" on at least three occasions and offers some terrific insight into his character. It's worth a read.
5. Two Years And Counting: On Aug. 20, 2010, the same day Fox25 came to town for a ZipTrip, Tewksbury Patch launched. The lead story on that first day was "Chief Mackey Announces Retirement."
We were the 14th Patch in Massachusetts (there are around 90 now) and the 104th across the country (there are around 850 now). In two years, we have published more than 4,800 articles, more than 10,000 photos and countless event listings and announcements. But mostly, we've had the privilege to get to know the amazing people of Tewksbury.
You, our readers, have made Patch what it is today. Thanks for making us feel welcome and for allowing us to be a proud member of this community.