5 Things You Need To Know Today, Thursday, Jan. 24
Bits of knowledge to help make you the smartest person in your club.
Here are 5 pieces of information designed to start your Thursday with warm thoughts and to help make you the smartest person battling frostbite this morning.
1. Your 3-Day Local Weather Forecast:
- According to the NWS, today will be sunny, with a high near 18. Wind chill values as low as -11. Northwest wind 7 to 15 mph, with gusts as high as 32 mph.
- Thursday Night Mostly clear, with a low around 1. Wind chill values as low as -7. West wind 7 to 13 mph, with gusts as high as 34 mph.
- Friday Increasing clouds, with a high near 19. Wind chill values as low as -6. West wind around 7 mph.
- Friday Night A chance of snow, mainly after 9pm. Cloudy, with a low around 12. Calm wind becoming north around 6 mph after midnight. Chance of precipitation is 40%.
- Saturday A chance of snow, mainly before 9am. Patchy fog before 1pm. Otherwise, mostly cloudy, with a high near 24. Chance of precipitation is 30%.
- Saturday Night Partly cloudy, with a low around 8.
2. Reader Comment of the Day: "Every tax increase should be accompanied by a much larger spending reduction. The playing field must be leveled. How can taxpayers compete with Santa Claus." Reader and blogger Don Ordway, commenting on the story, "Patrick Files $34.8 Billion Budget Proposal Wednesday."
3. It's Happening Today: Want to check out the next generation of Redmen Champions? The JV ice hockey team will be in action today when they travel to Methuen to take on the Rangers. The puck drops at 4:15 p.m.
4. Quote of the Day: "In my opinion, the body was moved." Dr. Thomas Andrew, a forensic pathologist, testifying for the defense at the murder trail of Michael Ferreira on Wednesday.
5. By The Numbers: $34.8 Billion. That's the bottom line of the budget proposal for Fiscal Year 2014 being proposed by Gov. Deval Patrick. The budget features an income tax increase, as well as increases in several fees but also a cut to the state sales tax.