5 Things You Need to Know Today: Tuesday, Aug. 14
Bits of knowledge to help make you the smartest parent counting down the minutes until school starts again.
Here are five pieces of information designed to get you ready and rarin' to go on this Tuesday morning and to help make you the smartest person working the register at the store today.
1. Your 3-Day Local Weather Forecast: According to the NWS, today will be mostly sunny, with a high near 88. Calm wind becoming west 5 to 7 mph in the afternoon.
- Tuesday Night A slight chance of showers between 3am and 5am, then a slight chance of showers and thunderstorms after 5am. Mostly cloudy, with a low around 67. Southwest wind 3 to 5 mph. Chance of precipitation is 20%.
- Wednesday A chance of showers and thunderstorms. Patchy fog before 9am. Otherwise, mostly cloudy, with a high near 83. South wind 5 to 8 mph. Chance of precipitation is 50%. New rainfall amounts between a half and three quarters of an inch possible.
- Wednesday Night Showers likely and possibly a thunderstorm before 10pm, then a chance of showers and thunderstorms after 10pm. Patchy fog after 2am. Otherwise, mostly cloudy, with a low around 63. Southeast wind around 6 mph becoming calm after midnight. Chance of precipitation is 60%. New rainfall amounts of less than a tenth of an inch, except higher amounts possible in thunderstorms.
- Thursday A chance of showers and thunderstorms. Patchy fog before 8am. Otherwise, partly sunny, with a high near 83. Chance of precipitation is 30%.
- Thursday Night Partly cloudy, with a low around 63.
2. It's Happening Today: With the start of the school year just around the corner, there couldn't be a better time to attend Stranger Danger at the Tewksbury Public Library. The program, designed for kids 4-12, begins at 2 p.m. Join ATA Black Belt Academy's Justin Garofano as he teaches kids and families how to avoid the pitfalls of strangers. With the help of an interactive video, learn how to properly answer the phone or door, how not to fall for tricks strangers might use on you, how to develop a family password and much more! A very important and valuable workshop.
3. It's Happening Tonight: The Board of Selectmen returns from a brief summer recess with a meeting tonight at 7 p.m. at Town Hall.
4. Quote of the Day: "This will definitely help the way Route 38 looks and will help attract businesses. It's a real shot in the arm." David Gay, chairman of the Board of Selectmen and a member of the EDC, in regard to the money Tewksbury will receive from the state to rebuild Route 38. Click here for the full story.
5. Reader Comment of the Day: "What we have today is 'trickle up poverty.'" Reader Janellen27, commenting on the story, "SNAP POLL: Massachusetts Republicans Say Ryan Will Energize Campaign."
And Don't Forget: Voting ends on Friday in the Best of Patch Readers Choice Awards! Click here to vote for your favorite Tewksbury businesses in up to 25 categories. Already voted? You can vote once a day in every category!