5 Things You Need to Know Today: Tuesday, July 24
Bits of knowledge to help make you the smartest person stuck in rush-hour traffic.
Here are five pieces of information designed to get your Tuesday off on the right foot and to help make you the smartest person in your family.
1. Your 3-Day Local Weather Forecast: According to the NWS, today we will see scattered showers and thunderstorms, mainly before 11am. Patchy fog before 9am. Otherwise, partly sunny, with a high near 88. Southwest wind 9 to 13 mph becoming northwest in the afternoon. Chance of precipitation is 30%. New rainfall amounts of less than a tenth of an inch, except higher amounts possible in thunderstorms.
- Tuesday Night Mostly clear, with a low around 60. Northwest wind 8 to 14 mph.
- Wednesday Sunny, with a high near 81. Northwest wind 13 to 16 mph, with gusts as high as 28 mph.
- Wednesday Night Partly cloudy, with a low around 62. Northwest wind 3 to 6 mph.
- Thursday A slight chance of showers. Mostly cloudy, with a high near 80. Chance of precipitation is 20%.
- Thursday Night A chance of showers, with thunderstorms also possible after midnight. Mostly cloudy, with a low around 65. Chance of precipitation is 40%.
2. Quote of the Day: “He should apologize for cheating during the last election and lying to voters (Saturday) morning.” Andover Selectman and State Senate candidate, talking about is GOP Primary opponent, state Rep. Paul Adams.
3. Reader Comment of the Day: "A good start. Perhaps "Gitmo" or some military prison out of the USA where prisoners have reduced rights. We need to be able to deal with our "waste" more cost effectively." Reader Malcolm Nichols, commenting on the story, "Legislature Passes Three-Strikes Bill for Violent Crimes."
4. It's Happening Today: Bates & Tincknell: Imagine That! Celebrating Reading in Story & Song at the Tewksbury Public Library, starting at 10:30 a.m. The programs is for ages 3 and up. Davis and Roger have over four decades of combined performing experience, providing hundreds of performances in schools, libraries and other community settings. Their warm and participatory programs involve audiences in a wide variety of cultural heritages.
5. It's Also Happening Today: Stump! Trivia Night at The Sky Box, 553 Main St., Tewksbury. Stump! Trivia is a team trivia contest played in bars and restaurants all over the country. Get your team (one to six players per team) of people to the Sky Box Restaurant and Pub every Tuesday night at 8:00p.m. to test your skill at answering an assortment of trivia questions, in various Sports and Entertainment categories.
And Don't Forget: Keep those votes coming. We've started our polling for the Best of Tewksbury Patch Readers' Choice Awards in 25 categories. And remember, the new polling system being used allows you to vote once in each category each day. Click here to see the categories being contested, then vote for your favorites.