Easy Peasy Cheesy Potato Casserole
This potato side dish is cheesy, warm and satisfying. It can also be easily altered to a lower fat version.
“People are so worried about what they eat between Christmas and the New Year, but they really should be worried about what they eat between the New Year and Christmas.” -- Unknown
Well, here we find ourselves about to welcome in another year. Like most people I cannot believe how fast 2012 went by and I look forward to a new year full of possibilities, new experiences and of course, food. I am excited to try lots of new recipes and share them with you.
This is a recipe I found on Pinterest and my family really enjoyed-moreso the second time around. I changed a few things (less sour cream, different cheese, more topping). I think some bacon would be great in this also.
Cheesy Potato Casserole
- 1 32 oz bag frozen hash brown potatoes (thawed)
- 1 1/2 cups sour cream
- 1 10.75 oz can cream of chicken soup
- 1 medium sweet onion (finely chopped)
- 2 cups Mexican blend shredded cheese
- Salt and pepper to taste
- 4 cups corn flakes (crushed)
- 4 tbsp. butter (melted)
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees.
- Combine sour cream, cream of chicken soup, onion, cheese, salt and pepper in a large bowl.
- Stir in hash brown potatoes.
- Pour and evenly spread into a greased 9x13 pan.
- In a medium bowl, melt butter and stir in crushed cornflakes.
- Evenly top casserole with buttered corn flakes.
- Bake at 350 degrees F for 30-45 minutes.
This recipe can easily be altered into a lower fat version-just use low or fat free sour cream, soup and cheese. In lieu of butter you can use a lower fat spread.
Wishing you and yours a very safe and Happy New Year.
(Adapted from the Cheesy Potato Casserole recipe on the Chef in Training food blog.)