Electrical Fire Began In Utility Closet
Two-alarm blaze did significant damage to basement of Shawsheen Street home.
If there was an upside to Hurricane Sandy locally, it was the need to staff additional public safety personnel in anticipation of the storm's arrival.
"We had all three stations open. The call came in at 12:11 p.m. and the first (responding units) were there by 12:15," said Hazel.
According to town records, the two-story, single-family home, located at the corner of Ronald Drive, is owned by Dale and Patricia Lobsien. The fire was first noticed and reported by the Lobsien's daughter, who lives in the house next door.
Hazel said an initial investigation indicated it was likely an electrical fire that began in a utility closet in the basement. There was significant damage to the basement, as well as smoke damage to the first and second floors.
National Grid responded to the scene to cut off power to the home at the pole, to allow firefighters access to the electrical box.
No injuries were reported.
Damage estimates were not immediately available but the home is assessed at $312,900.