News Nearby: Paralyzed Teacher Aided By Local Company
Each week we take a look at the stories making headlines from neighboring Patch towns.
Last year, Chelmsford teacher and coach Tom Gallagher was accidentally paralyzed.
While the town came to his aid, Chelmsford-based Pro AV Systems also came to the educator's aid, equipping his classroom with a serious of new technologies to help him stay in the classroom, ranging from wireless handsfree microphones to an adjustable digital whiteboard.
"It's been scary, I'm the type of person that is afraid to push any button," said Gallagher. "But I'm getting used to these things and I'm excited to see what else they can do."
Speakers Provide Personal, Powerful Stories of Drug Addiction
The Wilmington Substance Abuse Coalition hosted Substance Abuse Awareness Night on Wednesday, bringing together speakers who told powerful stories on the dangers of drug addiction in an effort to curtail the town's increased problem with drugs.
“It isn’t about snitching. It’s about saving lives,” Melissa Weiksnar recalled being told by the friend who found her daughter Amy’s lifeless body in 2009. “We really miss Amy. I feel cheated because I was counting on having her around into my old age. Statistics say that if a kid can make it to 21 without abusing alcohol or drugs, chances are they never will. Unfortunately for us, Amy didn’t quite make it to 21.”
A small kitchen fire caused damage to the entire first floor of a home on Woburn Street in Reading. No one was injured, but the family is unable to return to their home.
The U.S. Food and Drug Administration announced Monday that it has blocked food distribution from the Sunland Inc. peanut butter plant in New Mexico whose products were subject to a wide recall in recent months because of salmonella contamination.