Redmen Roundup: Boys Track Team Clinches League Championship
Girls hockey falls short against Waltham.
Tewksbury 63, Lawrence 23
The Tewksbury High boys track team clinched the MVC Small School Championship Wednesday by routing Lawrence High, 63-23.
The Redmen claimed seven first place finishes in the meet and swept the top three spots in the high hurdles, the mile and the two-mile.
"It's an absolute credit to the seniors. After losing so many close meets last year, the kids did not want it to happen again and they have worked so hard to be on the other side of those scores and it has paid off," said Coach Bill Meuse. "This team is a tight knit group and we have something good going on here, I hope that some people take notice and want to be a part of a great track program."
Tewksbury scorers were as follows:
- HURDLES: 1. Eddie Matovu (T) 6.9. 2. Dom Rosado (T). 3. Kevin Jones (T).
- 2 MILE: 1. Brian Amaral (T) 10:27.1. 2. Anthony Darrigo (T). 3. Joey Darrigo (T).
- 300: 1. Cory Cataldo (T) 38.6.
- 600: 1. Blake Hery (T) 1:35.1. 2. Tim Martel (T).
- 1000: 1. Cory Thomas (T) 2:48.2. 3. Mike Charbonneau (T).
- MILE: 1. Mike Famiglietti (T) 5:01.6. 2. Nick Souza (T). 3. Dom Rosmarnofski (T).
- HIGH JUMP: 1. Kevin Jones (T) 6-0. 2. Rosado (T). 3. Joe Poli (T).
- SHOT PUT: 1. John Fiorell (T) 48-9. 2. Steve DeFrancesco (T).
Girls Ice Hockey
Waltham 7, Tewksbury/Methuen 3
After starting their first-ever season off very strongly, the Red Rangers have plunged back to earth over the past couple of weeks.
On Wednesday, the Ted Rangers were handled easily by Waltham, 7-3.
Amanda Conway scored a pair of goals and had an assist on the third. Kathleen Lefebvre also scored. Goalie Taylor Lirakis made 39 saves for Tewksbury/Methuen.
With the loss, the Red Rangers slipped to 4-4-2.