Dear Fitness Coach.
For as long as I can remember, every January 1st I have the exact same resolution: I’ve got to lose about 30 pounds and start to exercise. But by mid-month I am already starting to lose steam, and have all but given up by Feburary. How can I make 2013 the year I finally get into the best shape of my life?
To make this the year you stick to your resolution and reach your goals, you need to change the way you are approaching this. It’s not about losing 30 pounds and exercising: It’s about making healthy lifestyle changes that will result in permenant weight loss. The following steps will help you achieve success in your weight-loss and maintenance goals:
- If you fail to plan, plan to fail: Set up a detailed game plan with realistic achievable monthly goals, while setting a 6-month goal to reach your desired weight.
- Make clean eating a priority: Eliminate sugar and as much processed food from your diet as possible. Replace with whole grains, fruit/veg and protein. Brown-bag your lunch and commit to healthy food choices when eating out.
- Start a physical activity that you enjoy: You will be more likely to stick to it for the long run.
- Realize that the positive changes you are implementing now are forever: You can never go back to a diet of fast/junk food or a sedentary lifestyle.
- If you feel you need accountability to keep you consistent, you may want to consider hiring a fitness professional or join a like-minded group to keep you on track. Most gyms have weight-loss group training sessions or biggest-loser challenges starting this month - such as the Gold’s Gym 10 pound weight-loss challenge: http://t.co/RBCQDzAq.