Here are 5 pieces of information to help you kick off the Christmas season in style and to help make you the smartest person on the Town Common tonight.
1. Your 3-day Local Weekend Weather Forecast: According to the NWS, today will be partly sunny, with a high near 33. North wind 3 to 7 mph.
- Friday Night Cloudy, with a temperature rising to around 33 by 5am. Northeast wind 3 to 5 mph.
- Saturday A chance of snow showers between 8am and 9am, then a chance of rain showers after 9am. Cloudy, with a high near 39. Northeast wind around 5 mph becoming light and variable in the afternoon. Chance of precipitation is 40%.
- Saturday Night A chance of rain and snow showers before 7pm, then a chance of rain showers. Patchy fog after 1am. Otherwise, cloudy, with a low around 37. Light and variable wind becoming southeast around 5 mph in the evening. Chance of precipitation is 30%. New precipitation amounts of less than a tenth of an inch possible.
- Sunday A slight chance of showers before 7am, then a slight chance of showers after 2pm. Patchy fog before 9am. Otherwise, partly sunny, with a high near 56. Chance of precipitation is 20%.
- Sunday Night A chance of showers before 5am. Mostly cloudy, with a low around 40. Chance of precipitation is 40%.
2. It's Happening Tonight: Lighting of the Common
The Lighting of the Common begins at 7 p.m. and features music by "The Swinging Seniors," a greeting by Board of Selectmen Chairman David Gay and the reading of "'Twas the Night Before Christmas" by Library Director Dianne Giarusso.
And, of course, the highlight of the event for the younger Tewksbury residents will be the arrival of Santa Claus! Jolly Old Saint Nick will arrive by fire engine, courtesy of the Tewksbury Fire Department.
Santa will then oversee the spectacular lighting of the trees on the Town Common.
3. It's Also Happening Tonight: Festival of Trees
The Festival of Trees will begin Friday from 6 to 8 p.m. at the library. Dozens of Christmas Trees, decorated by businesses and non-profit groups from throughout the community, will be on display. Residents not only can enjoy viewing the trees, they can vote on their favorites!
The event will also include a fun, family concert from Steve Blunt at 6:30 p.m. and Christmas Carols from the Merrimack Valley Chorus at 7 p.m. There will also be refreshments, winter crafts and even a scavenger hunt.
The Festival of Trees will continue throughout the Holiday Season, giving residents plenty of opportunities to view the trees and vote.
4. And, oh yes, This Is Happening Tonight Also: Pie Social
What would the Holiday Season be without delicious, homemade pies?
The 10 East St., will host its annual Pie Social on Friday, Nov. 30, from 6 to 9 p.m. Don't fill up on dinner, you'll want to leave plenty of room for pies!
A slice of homemade pie plus coffee or cocoa is just $4 per person.
Many items from the TCC Christmas Fair (which will be held from 9am-2pm on the Saturday, Dec. 1) will be available for sale during the Pie Social. Buy a fresh wreath for your door or take home some handcrafted specialties like baked goods, wood crafts and knit items.
5. Reader Comment of the Day: "Could I get Seth to speak with the owners of my company? I have not had a cost of living increase in over 4 years. my health insurance has gone up three times since so I actually make a good bit less than I did 4 years ago. Justified??" Reader Bill S., commenting on the story, "State House Employees Get 3 Percent Raise."