On Oct. 13 the Tewksbury Fire Department hosted its annual Open House in recognition of National Fire Prevention Week.
Members of Tewksbury Fire Department and Student Awareness of Fire Education (S.A.F.E.) Team came together to put on a “Jaws-of-Life” demonstration and a 110’ ladder climb at the Open House.
The Massachusetts Fire District 6 “Smoke House” was on hand to help firefighters teach kids what to do during emergencies.
"One of our newest firefighters, Marc Bourdon, donned full protective clothing and breathing gear” said Chief Mike Hazel. “Some kids went right up to him and had no fear; others took a little longer to warm up to him. It’s great to see kids meet their local firefighters in such a positive and productive way.”
Blood pressure screenings were provided by Joan Viscione, RN.
Hands on CPR training was demonstrated by Raymond Barry, EMT-B.
“This is a great event and I look forward to it every year. My parents come to help out and the firefighters enjoy it as much as the kids do. It’s a really family event for all of us,” said S.A.F.E. Coordinator Christina Merrill.
The event was a tremendous success thanks to the efforts of on- and off-duty Tewksbury firefighters, Safety Officer Jenny Welch from the Police Department, Wal-Mart Store Manager Jimmy Kordis, Lowell Spinners Director of Media Relations Jon Boswell, MetLife SIU Regional Manager Robert Bodoni, and Upper Merrimack Valley MRC Unit and Tewksbury Board of Health Member Raymond Barry.
Special thanks to our long-term Open House partners Ken Smith, Jr. of Penney’s Auto for providing a demonstration car and to Papa Ginos and Store Manager Tony Welch for providing free pizza to the crowd on hand!
Some basic safety tips for the home:
- Have at least one alarm on every level of the house and one in each sleeping area.
- Replace smoke alarms that are more than 10 years old.
- Test all home alarms monthly and replace batteries at least once a year.
- Have an exit plan and teach your children what to do if the alarm sounds.
- All homes should also have carbon monoxide alarms.