We’ve all heard these wonderful stories about how one person pays for coffee for the person behind them at the drive-thru.
Then that person does the same for the person behind them and the chain of kindness continues.
Today — Thursday, April 24 — is Pay It Forward Day. As a huge coffee fan, I would be thrilled to either give or receive that particular gift of kindness but if you’re looking for other inspiring ideas, check these out!
- Pay for someone’s gas at the pump.
- Post notes for people on bathroom mirrors or in random places that say things like “You are beautiful” or “Thanks for being you!”
- Visit someone who’s lonely or homebound.
- Write nice statements on the sidewalk in chalk.
- Leave flowers on someone’s doorstep with a note explaining Pay It Forward Day.
- Send flowers to a random room at your local hospital.
- When you receive great customer service, tell that person’s manager/boss how awesome they are.
- Bring a bunch of bubbles to a local playground.
- Rescue an animal from a shelter and if you can’t do that, consider donating money to one or bringing much-needed items.
- Scared of spiders? Instead of squishing one, usher the eight-legged critter outside!
- Do an impromptu can drive at work and bring collected items to the local food bank.
- Build a bat house or adopt a beehive.
Kindness doesn’t have to stop when the sun sets on Pay it Forward Day! Some of these ideas may require some planning or special circumstances, like this first suggestion:
- On a rainy day, buy a handful of inexpensive umbrellas and hand them out to people who get caught in the rain without one.
- Find a local museum or attraction you’ve always wanted to visit and ask them if they need any volunteers.
- Go to a used bookstore or library and tuck sentimental notes in the books. Kindness Girl suggests some good ones:
- You are meant for adventure!
- Everything is going to be great!
- The magic is in you!
How do you plan on paying it forward?
Were you a Pay It Forward Day recipient? What kindness did you experience?