You may be getting a new, yet familiar, representative in Washington, D.C.
Under the new redistricting proposal, Congressman John Tierney, who represents the state's 6th District, would pick up and a section of Andover, as well as Billerica. Those may make his seat more competitive, since those areas have been more inclined to vote Republican.
"The residents of Billerica, Tewksbury and a part of Andover will recognize a lot of commonality with other Sixth District communities," Tierney said. "I look forward to becoming acquainted with new neighbors, meeting with existing friends there, and listening to people's concerns and ideas. I thank the State Legislators for their hard work."
Here are 10 things to know about John Tierney:
1. Tierney was born and raised in Salem and attended Salem State College as well as Suffolk University Law School.
2. Once worked as a janitor in the State House while attending law school.
3. The first time Tierney ran for a seat in Congress, he lost to Republican incumbent Peter Torkildsen.
4. The second time he ran was against Torkildsen again in 1996, and Tierney won.
5. Tierney's district has included Cape Ann, eastern Essex County and much of the North Shore.
6. Tierney has been known as one of the more liberal members of Congress, supporting things like green energy jobs, universal healthcare and higher education assistance.
7. Tierney married Patrice Chew in 1997. She has three children from a previous marriage.
8. In 2010, into which he was funneling money from an illegal offshore gambling business.
9. Tierney faced an unusually nasty campaign for reelection in 2010, with opponent Bill Hudak hammering away at Patrice Tierney's court scandal for weeks.
10. After that heated campaign, with a comfortable margin of 57 percent of the vote.