Thursday, November 8, 2012
Tewksbury's Youth Librarian models her ink for a new calendar
Tewksbury Youth Librarian Noelle Boc is included in a new calendar coming out (Miss June specifically) called Tattooed Youth Librarians. Noelle will be posting a blog in the next few days explaining more about the project and what it is being done for. But in the meantime, here is a sneak peek video, in which Noelle talks about her new tattoo. UPDATE: Noelle's new blog entry is online now. Click here.
Monday, October 15, 2012
Check out ReadKiddoRead's list of the best Halloween books for kids.
Monday, October 15, 2012
All of us—adults, teens and children—enjoy a scary chill. What better time of year than Halloween to indulge in stories that make our spines tingle? It's the perfect time for your family to share some spooky stories each evening. To get you started, here are some Halloween books filled with ghosts and ghouls, wizards and witches, haunted houses and black magic that everyone can enjoy together. You can check out these books and many more spine-tingling titles at the Tewksbury Public Library, 300 Chandler St. PICTURE BOOKS for ages 2-6 The youngest children love the fun of Halloween: costumes, trick-or-treating and gentle tales of ghosts and goblins. Here are some books for this age group: GHOSTS IN THE HOUSE By Kazuno Kohara For ages 1-6 …
Friday, August 10, 2012
Bits of knowledge to help you make it through to the weekend.
Here are five pieces of information designed to get your weekend off to a sizzling start. 1. Your Local Weekend Weather Forecast: According to the NWS, today will be mostly cloudy with showers and thunderstorms likely, mainly in the afternoon. Areas of fog in the morning. Some thunderstorms may produce heavy rainfall. Humid with highs in the lower 80s. South winds 5 to 10 mph. Chance of rain 60 percent. Tonight, showers and thunderstorms likely. Areas of fog. Some thunderstorms may produce heavy rainfall. Humid with lows in the upper 60s. Southeast winds 5 to 10 mph. Chance of rain 70 percent. 2. What To Do This Weekend: Looking to take a daytrip this weekend? Check out our Summer Weekend Getaway roundup for stuff happening on the New …
Monday, May 14, 2012
Residents invited to attend the form and ask questions of the senator or tweet questions through Tewksbury Patch.
(Editor's note: The following information was submitted by the office of state Sen. Barry Finegold, D-Andover.) State Sen. Barry Finegold, D-Andover, will be hosting his second annual Tewksbury Listening Forum on Wednesday, May 16 at 6:00 p.m. at the Tewksbury Public Library. This informal, question-and-answer session will give constituents the opportunity to voice their ideas and issues. “Being accessible to my constituents is very important to me because being readily available and proactive helps me better serve the town,” Finegold said. “I look forward to hearing residents’ ideas and concerns; no problem is too small.” There will not be a planned speaking program but rather a casual atmosphere where local residents can be heard and …
Wednesday, April 25, 2012
State Senator will hold office hours in Andover, Dracut, Lawrence and Tewksbury.
Wednesday, April 25, 2012
(Editor's note: The following information was submitted by the office of state Sen. Barry Finegold, D-Andover.) Sen. Barry Finegold and staff will hold open office hours on Friday, April 27th Andover, Dracut, Lawrence and Tewksbury. Office hours will be held at the following locations and times: Lawrence: 10:30 a.m. to 12:00 p.m. Lawrence Senior Center, 155 Haverhill Street 1:00 p.m. to 3:00 p.m. Lawrence Public Library, 51 Lawrence Street Dracut: 10:00 a.m. to 11:00 a.m. Parker Memorial Library, 28 Arlington Street Tewksbury: 11:30 a.m. to 12:30 p.m. Tewksbury Public Library, 300 Chandler Street Andover: 1:00 p.m. to 2:00 p.m. Memorial Hall Library, 2 North Main Street, Activities Room
Friday, April 13, 2012
The index contains over 17,000 entries of birth notices, marriage intentions, wedding announcements, and obituaries from Tewksbury’s local newspapers.
Friday, April 13, 2012
(Editor's note: The following information was submitted by Reference Librarian Freyja Sanger of the Tewksbury Public Library.) The Tewksbury Public Library is pleased to announce that the first phase of their AncestryIndexing Project has been completed. The Library’s dedicated volunteer, Hank Knoblock of Tewksbury, has worked for over the past 5 years indexing birth notices, marriage intentions, wedding announcements, and obituaries from Tewksbury’s local newspapers. Access to a public index of this kind was previously unavailable. The index contains over 17,000 entries and dramatically simplifies the process of finding information about your ancestors that has been printed in Tewksbury newspapers. Coverage includes the Merrimack …
Tuesday, March 27, 2012
Bits of knowledge to help make you the smartest person caught in rush hour traffic.
Here are five pieces of information designed to get your Tuesday off to a flying start and to help make you the smartest person in the cafeteria. 1. Your 3-Day Local Weather Forecast: According to the NWS, today will be sunny, with a high near 41. North wind between 14 and 17 mph. Tonight: Increasing clouds, with a low around 27. Northwest wind around 5 mph becoming calm. Wednesday: A chance of showers, mainly after 1pm. Cloudy, with a high near 53. South wind between 5 and 10 mph. Chance of precipitation is 30%. New rainfall amounts of less than a tenth of an inch possible. Wednesday Night: A chance of showers. Cloudy, with a low around 40. Calm wind becoming northwest around 5 mph. Chance of precipitation is 50%. New rainfall amounts …
Tuesday, January 3, 2012
Learn about the world's largest animal rescue from 'The Penguin Lady'! And, yes, be prepared for a ridiculous amount of REALLY cute penguin photos!
The Tewksbury Public Library cordially invites you to a special evening with Dyan deNapoli - nationally renowned penguin expert and author of The Great Penguin Rescue. About The Talk: In June 2000, an iron-ore carrier sank off the coast of South Africa’s Cape Town, spilling 1,300 tons of oil and threatening the survival of more than 75,000 African penguins living on nearby islands. A massive rescue effort was quickly organized and more than 12,500 volunteers from around the world descended upon Cape Town to assist with the operation. Nearly 20,000 oil-covered penguins were brought to local rescue centers, and another 20,000 were moved from the path of the approaching oil slick. The ensuing rehabilitation of the oiled penguins took …
Monday, August 8, 2011
Bits of knowledge to help soften the blow that it's Monday.
Here are five pieces of information to help make you the smartest pea in the pod. 1. Today's Weather Forecast: Today will be mostly cloudy. A chance of showers with isolated thunderstorms this morning...then numerous showers and scattered thunderstorms this afternoon. Areas of fog this morning. Locally heavy rainfall possible this afternoon. Highs around 80. North winds around 5 mph. Chance of rain 60 percent. Tonight will be mostly cloudy. A chance of showers in the evening. Areas of fog after midnight. Humid with lows in the mid 60s. North winds around 5 mph. Chance of rain 40 percent. 2. Just a Reminder: Paving is continuing this week on Livingston Street between Main and East. The road will be shut down the next few days from 7 a.m. to…
Wednesday, June 29, 2011
Bits of knowledge to help to be the smartest person already packing for your vacation.
Here are 5 pieces of information to start your Wednesday. 1. Your Local Weather Forecast: According to the NWS, today will feature isolated showers and thunderstorms between 2pm and 3pm. Areas of fog before 11am. Otherwise, partly sunny, with a high near 84. West wind between 3 and 10 mph. Tonight will be mostly clear, with a low around 60. West wind between 6 and 9 mph. 2. By the Numbers: 10,803 -- According to information in the 2010 Annual Town Report, that is the number of questions asked and answered by the reference desk at the Tewksbury Public Library. Bet you didn't know they kept track of that, did you? 3. Quote of the Day: “This is a red letter day for one of the most dangerous intersections in the community. I am glad I was able…